Friday, December 11, 2015

A Rose For Emily, A Reflection

I feel sorry for Emily. Living a lonely, secluded life where people saw you an an obligation, and not a duty or a responsibility. Personally for me, that would be hell. I am a social person, and if I was Emily, I just have no idea what I would do. I have respect for her, not like the men in the story, but as actual respect for surviving as long as she did.

Faulkner is very interesting with the ideas and writing he used for this story. He is not very nice when describing women. He is, at some times, very savage and almost personally attacking them. It reminds me of the burn book in Mean Girls  and how the plastics wrote hate filled things about these women and they seemed to be personally attacking them as people.

I enjoyed  A Rose For Emily. I loved the dark and Gothic feel of this story. The somber tone made the concept of isolation very powerful, but there are parts that bother me. Emily tried killing her husband with rat poison because she had no more feelings for him. In this time period divorce was frowned upon, seen as a sin. But there are other, less illegal options to get away from people with out getting a divorce. Running away seems to come to mind. But  I guess you do what you were taught.

Another thing that bugged me about the society Emily lived in is that she was not found until days after her death. I mean, yes she as a recluse and yes no one actually cared for her, but one person would had to have noticed her not rustling around in her house.

A Rose For Emily was an interesting and enjoyable read. I enjoyed it very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment